I found this recipe on pintrest and I have to give all credit to the blog “KITCHEN SIMPLICITY”.. This recipe is super easy and only took about 20 minutes to prepare.. Paella is something that takes a long time to cook and we LOVE it, so when I saw this recipe I was so excited.. I made it with cooked shrimp which saved a little time, but not to much as shrimp only take a few minutes to cook..
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (I didn’t have a red pepper so I threw in some quatered cherry tomatoes)
- 6 green onions, chopped (I just used a regualr cooking onion)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3.5 cups chicken or vegetable broth (2-14.5 oz cans)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound large shrimp, uncooked
- 2 cups couscous (I used whole wheat, to amp up the nutrients)
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- sliced almonds, to garnish
- fresh parsley, to garnish (optional)
- In a large nonstick skillet saute red pepper in a small amount of oil until softened. Add onions and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Add shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes, just until shrimp turn pink.
- Making sure broth is at a simmer, stir in couscous, peas and butter. Remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with almonds and parsley to serve.
*If using cooked shrimp: add to broth and bring to a boil, just to heat through, before adding couscous. And, if you”re like me and forget to thaw the peas you can add them along with the shrimp. 🙂