I was looking to use some nice Bratwurst in the freezer and I didn’t want to just bbq them, I wanted something homey.. I found this recipe on the blog Kayotic Kitchen, I thought that it would be really simple and yummy at the same time.. It was really hot out so I cooked it on the bbq with indirect heat.. I had to leave out the fennel, but it was still yummy.. Next time I will make sure I get some to make it again.. Here is the recipe… I hope that you will enjoy this on a “homey” kind of day..
4 sausages (beef or pork)
1 pound potatoes
1/2 pound carrots
1/2 bell pepper
1 large onion
1 fennel bulb
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp oil
freshly cracked black pepper
1 1/2 tsp Italian herbs
1/2 cup chicken broth
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Method: PreHeat you oven or bbq to 450degrees.
1. Peel that potatoes and cut into pieces.. She says to quarter them, but I cut them a little smaller to have less cooking time..
2. Peel and cut the onion in quarters..
3. Cut the base and the stalks off the fennel bulb and cut into wedges..
4. Wash and chop the red pepper.. She says to slice them, but I chunky..
5. Peel and cut up your carrots, or use baby carrots.. If using baby carrots cut them in half.. Also to help with less cooking time..
6. Arrange all the veggies in a roasting pan.. I used a 9×13 pan..
7. In a bowl mix the chicken stock, chopped garlic, Italian seasoning and oil all together..
8. Pour over the veggies and toss.. Season with Salt and Pepper..
9. Cover pan with foil and bake for 30 to 45 min, depending on your veg size.. You want them to be tender, not cooked fully through..
10. In the meantime brown the sausages and slice in half..
11. After the veggies are tender add the sausages and the balsamic vinegar and toss.. Cook for another 15 to 20 min, or until the sausage is cooked through..
This was really good.. It is the ideal definition of comfort food.. Good on a rainy day, a lazy weekend afternoon or when you need that “homey” feel.. I hope that you will try this recipe 🙂